Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church has grown from a size of 15-16 families when the church was first organized in 1883, to in excess of 700 families today. The present church building was dedicated to the glory of God in 1906. The congregation of 80 members, with their considerable vision and sacrifice erected our beautiful gothic style church with a seating capacity of 450.
Until 1921 all regular services were conducted in the German language. At this time, it felt there was a need for the introduction of English services for the younger generation.
Two major revisions took place in Zion's constitution in 1948. The first was an amendment that would allow women to vote on congregational issues. The second was a stewardship change from a minimum "due" to a free-will offering. This was also a significant year marking our first all-member visitation. Radio broadcasts of our worship service have been a form of outreach since 1947.
Zion was part of a 3-point parish (one pastor serving 3 congregations) with Alice and Petawawa until 1915. As growth continued, places were made in 1951 to alleviate the crowded Sunday School conditions. Construction of the parish hall was completed in 1954.
A committee was formed to investigate the feasibility of a sister church in Pembroke's east end. The research found that 67 families lived east of Mackay Street and that these members could form a new self-supporting parish. In June of 1957, St. Timothy's congregation was formed and 195 confirmed members were transferred.
Zion's "Faith Into Action" centennial year was celebrated in 1983. Many events occurred to honour this milestone, one of which was a Centennial Dinner held at Thee Place with 700 people in attendance. Major projects include renovating and painting the church. Another was a special appeal for World Hunger to reach out to God's people beyond Zion.
The year 1996 brought another major change to Zion with the elevator addition. This construction project linked the church to the parsonage which has since been converted to the administration building. The elevator addition makes most of the facilities wheelchair accessible. This new space includes two new Sunday School classrooms downstairs, two handicap accessible washrooms and a lounge upstairs with a large entrance on the ground floor.
Zion has been blessed with dedicated pastors throughout our 115 year history as they proclaimed God's love through Word and Sacrament. The legacy continued under the pastorate of Pastor Roellchen - Pfohl until he retired on September 1, 2019. Pastor Stephen Scheidt was called on September 15, 2019 and started his ministry on November 1, 2019.
Praise and thanks to God for all the blessings bestowed upon us. We pray for God's wisdom, courage and strength as we seek to do His will and live out the gospel of Jesus Christ.
January 1, 1883: Congregation established.
November 2, 1883: Cornerstone laid.
July 6, 1884: First church building dedicated.
August 19, 1906: New church building dedicated.
August 12, 1928: Dedication of new pipe organ.
August 6, 1933: Celebration of golden anniversary.
December, 1948: New parsonage completed.
1948: First female vote.
March 28, 1954: Parish Hall dedicated.
June 1957: Sister church, St. Timothy's established.
1958: 75th Anniversary Celebrated
July 22, 1969: New pipe organ installed.
1976: First members of council female.
1978: In conjunction with Pembroke Sesquicentennial, Zion accepts project of installation of stained glass windows in north wall of church building.
1981: 75th celebration of present church building.
May 15, 1983: Zion Celebrates 100th Anniversary.
1986: Zion joins the ELCIC. • 1995: Elevator dedicated.
1998: First female pastor.
2012: Solar Panels installed on the Parish Hall roof.